MAGNET WEEKLY CTF #5

This is the first question that refers to 
a Linux image shared by Ali Hadi,
Assistant Professor at Vermont's Champlain College .
 

 The question refers to the original filename of a block ID.

The relationship between filenames and block ID's in Linux was not readily apparent to me, even after a Google search which led me to a SANS presentation by Kevvie Fowler which involved using hdfs terminal commands (only viable after loading Hadoop tools on Linux) and perfoming a "checkpoint" to ensure accurate results...maybe there's an easier way.

My next stop after loading the file HDFS-MASTER.E01 into Autopsy was to check 

/home/hadoop/.bash_history  to see if a file had been copied and enter

the original filename as the flag.


mapred-site.xml.template was not the answer, however.

 

Fortunately, I had multiple tries at the answer this week.

A keyword search in Autopsy for the block ID:



Turned up this related file:


Which was not the answer, either.


It could be time to spend 20 points on the hint.

It was a link to the same Kevvie SANS presentation that I had already viewed.

Maybe I should watch it again, more closely.

Along with the technical Hadoop info,

he mentioned an Edit Log:


It looks like the required information is there,

but where is the Edit Log? Could I find it without mounting the image in Hadoop?

Stack overflow showed the possible location in the file system:

 


but there was no hadoop folder in the HDFS image /var/lib.


So, where are the logs?

An Autopsy keyword search for log led me to an

enormous list which I scrolled down looking for hadoop-0.20.

I stumbled upon another log named

hadoop-hadoop-namenode-master.log

Master name log looked promising.

When I opened it in Notepad...


...and searched for block ID 1073741825, I found this:


 

which was the flag, but it was too late to try it.

Lesson learned: look to the LOGS!

I'm looking forward to the other writeups so that I can gain more familiarity with Hadoop and maybe even try installing an instance so that I may try out the hdfs command line tools.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog